St. Mary’s Academy does not provide a case with student iPads. We would like students to be able to tailor their school iPad with their own personality – the case provides the best platform for this individualization.
Over 700 look-alike student iPads will make identification just slightly more difficult. All students, however, must have a case. An iPad will not be distributed to student until they have a case that meets our specifications noted below. In selecting a case, the three most important elements are:
- Impact protection for the corners, sides and back (rubber or plastic is best). Fabric/Leather cases do not last or protect well at all so do not get them!
- Protection for the glass screen when not in use.
- The ability to prop the iPad up at an angle for better typing ergonomics.
There are many protective cases on the market and you are welcome to choose them as long as they satisfy at least #1 and #2 above at minimum. A good case will help protect the iPad all 4 years. You may email email@example.com (or submit a ticket above) if you are not sure of a case you are looking at will be adequate. Whether a student chooses to use the on-screen keyboard or an external keyboard (optional) is a matter of preference. We STRONGLY recommend the cases and keyboards below.
Below are recommended cases for the various models of iPads we have at SMA. The links are to the company directly where you can purchase but you are welcome to purchase from other retailers as long as the meet the protective requirements above. Note: iPad Generation 7, 8 and 9 are all the same size but Generation 10 is not and will require a different size case.
iPad Generation 10 (A2696) - Class of 2027
iPad Generation 9 (A2602) - Class of 2026
iPad Generation 8 (A2270) - Class of 2025
iPad Generation 7 (A2197) - Class of 2024
Click here to learn what cases styles to avoid.
If you have any questions about the above or if you found different make/model case and are unsure if it will be protective enough please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to verify whether it will work.
- Secure Wired Keyboard for iPad® with Lightning™ Connector (iPad Gen 7, 8, 9)
- Macally Small USB-C Keyboard (iPad Gen 10)
- Wired Tablet Keyboard w/ Stand Lightning Connector (iPad Gen 7, 8, 9)
- Apple Wireless Magic Keyboard - US English (All iPads)
Protective cases with keyboard built into case.
- We do not recommend any cases with keyboards built in at this time.
Stylus Options (Optional)
A stylus is helpful in a variety of classes for drawing diagrams and hand-writing notes. Below are some recommendations.
- Apple Pencil Generation 1 (only works with iPad Generation 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10)
- Note! Generation 10 iPads will require the USB-C to Apple Pencil Adapter which is sold separately from the Apple Pencil.
- Logitech Crayon USB-C
- Bamboo Stylus
- BoxWave Stylus
- Cosmonaut Stylus
- Targus Stylus
Most Bluetooth headphones will work with the iPad but may not last the entire school day without quickly recharging them. So, there are wired options as well (Generation 10 iPads do not have a 3.5mm audio port so if you want a wired version, they need to have a USB-C connector). Click here for some headphone suggestions that are compatible with your iPad. You are welcome to acquire them from your favorite retailer.
You are welcome to add a screen protector to your SMA iPad for an extra layer of protection. The glass ones work a bit better than the plastic but either one is fine.
If you have any questions about this page please submit a request to Tech Help @ SMA.