For families that have chosen to use their own iPad for school, rather than the one provided by SMA, here is some important information:
1. The SMA mobile device management (MDM) profile must be installed on the iPad for various reasons:
- To ensure that all school Apps and links are installed.
- To ensure that students are keeping up with iPadOS updates.
- To give their iPads a higher priority than other personal devices that connect to the SMA network.
- Verify that the iPad does not have a configuration or Apps that may compromise the safety and security of the SMA network.
2. The name of the iPad should reflect the student's name. This can be changed under Settings > General > About. This makes it easier to find in our MDM so we are sure to assign the correct settings.
3. It is required that students have enough iCloud storage with their personal Apple ID to back up their entire iPad. Although they may back up with iTunes there are times when files/photos/documents need to be retrieved from icloud.com for collaboration and other school work.
- Students that opt-out can still use the school managed ID on their own iPad which does allow for 200GB of free storage. However, parents won't be able to manage their student's iPad from another device using Family Sharing when using the school managed ID. See the following link for more information: School Issued iPads vs. Personal iPads – SMA Tech Help Center (zendesk.com)
4. The use of VPN software on the school network is not allowed per the responsible use policy. No exceptions.
5. It is often asked if students can use both a personal iPad and an SMA iPad for use on campus. Unfortunately our MDM licensing doesn't allow for multiple devices per student.
* In the event that families change their mind and would prefer to use an SMA iPad they are welcome to do so at any time while at SMA as we have already obtained one for every student. Families will just have to provide a case before receiving one. However, once we have issued an SMA iPad to a student the MDM profile must be removed from the personal iPad.
For any questions about this information please submit a request at the top of this page.